During the Flash Memory Summit in August three panelists were asked to tell what they thought would be the top ten trends for NAND flash in 2012.
The panelists were:
- Troy Winslow, director of product and channel marketing for the Intel NAND group
- Radoslav Danilak, SandForce founder and now CEO of StorCloud
Here are mine:
- Enterprise SSDs will be used in all data centers
- There is still a lot of growth in NAND
- Controllers will get more sophisticated
- System software will be designed for NAND first
- Tablet PCs will morph into newer devices
- Not everyone can be a successful SSD supplier
- NOR has a long future in code storage
- NAND in PCs is a threat to DRAM, not HDDs
- The death of flash is not imminent
- SSDs in PCs will lose out to NAND + HDD
Over ten future posts I will elaborate on these. As I do I will add hot links to the list above to guide readers to these predictions. If any of the hot links are inactive, come back later and check again.
Many are detailed in reports on the Objective Analysis Reports page.